The new course will inform producers of their obligations under the regulation to act in the best interest of clients when recommending annuities or life insurance transactions
Raleigh, NC, May 13, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — RegEd, the leading provider of Compliance Education and Product Training solutions for the financial services industry, has announced a partnership with the Insured Retirement Institute (IRI) to deliver a course to help meet New York Regulation 187 requirements.
The course, NY Reg 187: Suitability and Best Interest of Clients in Life Insurance and Annuity Transactions, informs producers of their obligations under New York Regulation 187 to act in the best interest of clients when recommending annuities or life insurance transactions. It discusses the process of determining suitability, the problem of conflict of interest, and disclosure to the client of the pros and cons underpinning a recommendation. The course discusses special rules related to replacement transactions and when a senior client is at risk due either to diminished capacity or financial exploitation.
“Producers must be equipped to comply with the new requirements of New York Regulation 187, and effective training in this area is critical to ensuring that the best interests of clients are being served,” commented Brandi Brown, Senior Vice President, Regulatory Affairs at RegEd. “We’re pleased to partner with IRI on this initiative to produce and deliver the course that will be the industry standard in meeting this requirement.”
RegEd delivers more than 1,250,000 CE courses and insurance certificates annually, as part of its Industry Training Platform. Firms rely on RegEd’s regulatory, compliance and education experts for their deep domain expertise and ability to consistently generate timely educational content that enables organizations to effectively adapt to changing requirements.
The course is now available on RegEd’s Industry Training Platform and targets these learning outcomes:
- Discuss the fiduciary duties of care and loyalty and how these are related to your determination that a proposed sales transaction is suitable for your client;
- List the situations in which Regulation 187 is applicable to recommendations of life insurance or annuity transactions;
- Describe the types of client information you are required to collect in order to make a proper recommendation;
- Explain what is required for a recommendation to be in the best interest of a client and how the analysis applies to both annuities and life insurance;
- Discuss the special rules that apply to term life insurance and to in-force transaction for which new sales commissions are not paid;
- Explain the special rules that apply to transactions in which an existing policy or contract is replaced by a new policy or contract;
- Describe your obligations to protect senior clients in cases of diminished capacity or financial exploitation; and
- Discuss insurer obligations both to verify that your recommendations are in your clients’ best interest and generally to supervise your adherence to the requirements of Rule 187.
RegEd representatives will be onsite at the IRI ACTION19 conference in Washington, DC, May 15-17. RegEd solution and subject matter experts will demo the new course on Friday, May 17th from 8:00 AM – 8:30 AM in the Continental Room at the Capital Hilton Hotel.
For more information on this new course or the RegEd Industry Training Platform, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
RegEd is the market-leading provider of RegTech enterprise solutions with relationships with more than 200 enterprise clients, including 80% of the top 25 financial services firms.
Established in 2000 by former regulators, the company is recognized for continuous regulatory technology innovation with solutions hallmarked by workflow-directed processes, data integration, regulatory intelligence, automated validations, business process automation and compliance dashboards. The aggregate drives the highest levels of operational efficiency and enables our clients to cost-effectively comply with regulations and continuously mitigate risk.
Trusted by the nation’s top financial services firms, RegEd’s proven, holistic approach to RegTech meets firms where they are on the compliance and risk management continuum, scaling as their needs evolve and amplifying the value proposition delivered to clients. For more information, please visit www.reged.com.
The Insured Retirement Institute (IRI) is the leading association for the entire supply chain of insured retirement strategies, including life insurers, asset managers, and distributors such as broker-dealers, banks and marketing organizations. IRI members account for more than 95 percent of annuity assets in the U.S., include the top 10 distributors of annuities ranked by assets under management, and are represented by financial professionals serving millions of Americans. IRI champions retirement security for all through leadership in advocacy, awareness, research, and the advancement of digital solutions within a collaborative industry community.